Tags

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

My blog isn’t exactly jam packed with posts on a regular basis and nor do I want it to be. However, I have a lot more going on in my life than just instrument building and repair. So I have, at least temporarily, decided to blog about some of that other stuff as well as instrument building.

Over the holidays I drew up plans in Autodesk Inventor 2016 for a TV stand. My old stand is one of those box store kind and is now sagging quite heavily in the center. Truth be told it was actually meant to be a coffee table so I can’t complain too much about it sagging. In any case the goals of the new stand are to be strong and eye pleasing.

This is still in the design phase and if you have any suggestions on how to make it better please comment or message me. Shown below is my rough design. I will likely make it out of oak with some cherry accents.

1-6-15-tvstand

1-6-15-dado

I’m weighing the options of how to attach this shelf to the legs. One option is a biscuit joint. The problem with that is I do not own a biscuit joiner. The second option is widening the selves by half and inch on both sides (or one inch total) and cutting dado slots in the legs (where the red boxes are) and simply glue the shelves in the slots. The third, is an idea to use dowel rods. I would drill through the legs and into the selves then smear glue on a cherry/oak dowel rod (to match the leg wood) and push it through the leg and into the shelf. I realize it may not be the strongest of ways to attach the shelves but I’m only holding a Blu-ray player and a few DVD’s.

I will start cutting parts as soon as I settle on a good design.

Thanks for looking and Happy New Year!

 

Advertisements